Conferences & Accommodation at UBC’s Okanagan campus recognizes that we have local as well as international environmental impact, and are not just another Kelowna hotel.
UBCO is committed to complying with all local, provincial and national environmental legislation, and our goal is to successfully implement environmental “best practices” in our conference venues, accommodations, operations and activities.
Some of our day-to-day initiatives:
- Recycling Program (Paper, Cardboard, Plastic, Glass, Refundable Bottles)
- Towel Exchange Program
- Biodegradable Cleaning Products
- Energy Efficient Heating/Air Conditioning and Lighting in Sensory Activated Cascades
- Energy Efficient Heating/Air Conditioning in Okanagan Single Rooms (in addition ten bedrooms in each building also have motion sensor lighting)
- Water conservation low flow plumbing fixtures in compliance with Kelowna City Codes
- Water conservation self-timed and monitored sprinkler system for Landscaping
- Hazardous Waste and Appliance Disposed at local agencies for safe disposal
- Transportation: Electric Golf Cart for Conference and Housekeeping Staff
To learn more about UBC’s green initiatives, visit the UBC Sustainability Office website.
If you would like to walk our campus and learn about the various green initiatives,
please pick-up the Sustainability Walking Tour brochure at the front desk.
Guided tours are also possible and feature subject matter experts who discuss the projects and initiatives that make our campus sustainable. Highlights include green buildings, district energy system, composting station, Hunter Wireless irrigation system and natural retention pond. Tours may also be customized and tailored to participants’ interests. Tour topics include:
- Sustainability Walking Tour
- Geo-exchange District Energy System Tour
- Composting Tour
Please contact the Sustainability Office to request a tour.
For all inquiries please call: 1-250-807-8050 | Toll free: 1-888-318-8666